Monday, April 09, 2007

And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything

It's a made up story...

A letter for Sharon from my heart.

Dear Sharon, I had a dream last night. It was you and I walking on the bridge. In a rhythm as if our hearts are in the same rhyme. You didn't say a word. I tried to talk to you but it seems you never gave me a chance to. The dream was gray and blue. And then we came to the other side of the river and I woke up.

Was everything make sense to you right now? I think not. You were on my shoes four years ago, but it was you and me who were in the picture, not you and her. I would not dare to ask you how you feel, for I know for sure, it was not easy for me to take that time. He turned my world upside down, every lies was true, every truth was a lie. All I can do, Sharon, was an offer to listen to you, and to say nothing. Because I know how you feel.

I heard a lot about you, what you were doing and what you've been up to. Sometimes I saw your knitting project, your room, your garden and what you planted, and your pictures when we were in your place. The great divide seems to separate us from being friends, and none of us wanted to start anything. That one very deep similarity in us was the sole reason for us not to be friends.

That morning I saw you entering the church and sat on the pew, I was hoping you would look at me so I could say hi and give you comfort. May be a hug or an hour by the tree to be your ears. But you left right away and all I could do was to pray for you and your peace of mind.
That easter afternoon when you called me and woke me up from the illusion that everything was a lie. I was as surprised as you, perhaps, but I was glad that you called.

We shed tears and my heart was pounding faster. You and I on the line. I could feel your pain, I wish I could hug you that time. We shared laughter too over similar lies told to us. Be strong, Sharon. Take comfort that there is nothing in the world is in our control. None. Take comfort that life is in your side, and that God loves you. We can try to get this right, but only God has the power over a man's heart.

You and I might have heard the same stories. Do you remember the GivingTree? Have you heard that nonsense? A story about a love everlasting from a tree to the boy by giving everything she has? You know what's missing from that story? A command from God: to love another as yourself. The tree need to love herself first before she is capable to love the boy. I refused to do what she did. Now, it's your decision for your own life, for the life God has given to you. Where did you build the foundation of your life upon? For my story of the tree, the boy simply was not enough.

I have no regrets, Sharon. God had given me more after that episode, once in my life I could say I want to live, not for me, but for what God can use my life. I had found true love from that episode of life.

So, next time I see you, in the library or on the street, please let me give you a hug. I love you because God loves you.

Title is a quote by William Shakespeare.

No comments: