Thursday, April 26, 2007

Maybe that's what life is...a wink of the eye and winking stars

Over that short drive we had a conclusion that nearly all the problems in the world exists of miss-communications. Really. I can track it from Adam and Eve and God and Satan in Genesis to the current war, to my current project!

We assumed that what we heard is what the other person's meant.
Funny enough that God created each individual differently through the course of time. Even with siblings, or identical twins, throughout their lives they're picking up experiences, interactions with other people, words, language, encouragements, discouragements, insult, assault and all that jazz. Not only that, our creative God thought that it would be fun to have a variety of races, culture, ethnicity inside the culture, subcultures, each with their own languages, dialect, and customs. (It's just beyond my imagination to manage the human race from genesis to now! (God, don't you have enough things to do? Or may be it's because your Power is just beyond our imagination). And, internally, each person is affected by their feelings, ratios, whether they had taken lunch break or not, to listen carefully what other person's had to say. I remember Neal used to observe that I only hear what I want to hear, as if my ears have some filter to the information that goes through them and only passing on a certain information to my brain. (This is the one time I heard someone told me this. I consider myself a very good listener, though. :-)). And I have told that there are four types of personalities whom will interpret information differently based on how they were raised by their parents (It's from NewLife Ministry, I forgot the author's name or the book title and I am too lazy to look up right now). So, my point is, it is very important to make sure to the other person that you two are on the same page!

Today, I gave in to anger. I resented my coworker. I wish that she would just tell me what she wants instead of making me work for hours/days to think through how the graphic would look like. I am a very particular person when it comes to graphic design and I have to have them align with my satisfaction level. I was done. And she thought it would be something else that it is not.. I suddenly feel so hungry when I aimed to fast today and I am taking lunch right at this moment. At 3:30pm, finishing my salad and a piece of chiabata bread!

Surprisingly (or not) communication is a very important part of my job, that I am sure I am capable of doing (since I have been organizing for almost three years), but how can't we who work in the same office could not communicate well? May be it's because I hadn't eat since yesterday..or because it's so cloudy today..and I counted my coffee intake, it was four cups today so I am okay in that matter.

God, in the other hand, has never failed to communicate with me. Through the bible, history, Jesus, Superman, Paul the Apostle, U2, ChrisTomlin, Mother Jones, the NewYorkTimes, the taxi-driver, Rebecca my neighbor who always sit on my steps, Clinton who sweeps the sidewalk, my life, my family, and my friends; I could find God in them, it seems that when I starve of knowing God, He appears and reappears anywhere I went. And all my life, if He wanted me to listen, he will not stop working until I can really listen. (I call this a whoah moment.) The difference is between how God communicate with us, and how we communicate with others, is a divine attention, based on unmeasurable love. He loves me so much He will never let me go anywhere else but to Him.

I could not imagine any other gods, I could not imagine talking to the stars without my "god" talking back to me. I could not imagine a god who just communicate to me through "winking" stars..

But, am I listening to God right now? As I failed to fast, I learned that these are probably what God wants me to learn today:Ask, confirm, after the other person is finished so that you won't waste your time for nothing;Be patient to yourself; Never break the fast in anger..keep fasting!

-- from OnTheRoad, Jack Kerouac

No comments: