Wednesday, May 30, 2007

You don't need to know about blessing to be blessed.

Have you ever had a dream without picture and only voices in your head constantly humming a song over and over and when you woke up you realize the connection between your dream and what's your heart desire? I am no Freud follower, but I believe that God speaks to us through dream too, I only have to conform it through praying with my conscious. There is the phrase at the "deepest of my heart", the unconscious part of ourselves that we didn't even know and that God is the only one to know. This makes sense for me, I've done some reading on it. God spoke to Joseph through dreams, and also Jacob, and many other people back in the biblical time, but I believe that He is still doing the same thing to you and I.

This song dream happened to me last night as I went to bed praying in my head and this song was in my head when I woke up. It's in Javanese so I'll translate it in English (I'm a 100% Javanese; from my skin to the core of my heart and what's run in my blood). My mom used to hum this song cause this is one of her favorite hymns..

Kinanthi Ing Gusti


Gusti nuntun lampah kula
Saklangkung nggen kula begja
Engkang pundi arah mami
Wit kula dikanthi Gusti

Duh Gusti kang nganthi mami
AstaNya Pyambak kang nganti
Sun nderek teng pundhi pundhi
Wit kinanthi dening Gusti

Okay, so they might be wrong cause there are several verses and one line will go with the other. But, I know how it sing.

It translate (sort of) like this:

God is guiding my every step
Oh, how blessed I am
No matter where I go
He will always be with me

My God who guide my every step
His own hands held mine
I will follow You wherever You lead me
As long as You're the one who guide me.

There are several cultural difference in the translation that needs some clarification (that's why I don't like translation). Kinanthi means more than guide, but I can't find a similar word. Kinanthi came from the word kanthi that means "with". Kinanthi means more like someone lead the way in front of us, behind us, and beside us - at the same time, which is different from the word guide that I felt has some "distance" connotation.

Javanese refer to the name of "Gusti" to God the Father and "Gusti Pangeran" to Jesus Christ. But I feel that in this song, it speaks to me as Jesus more than to God the Father personality. It's just because Jesus "been there done that", I felt that He understands me better and I always pray to Jesus.

Javanese refer to themselves differently; it comes with context of whom are we speaking with. There is kula when you place yourself in humility, the lowest of the low, and view the other person you talk to be in higher level than you are. There is dalem is the same connotation but put more respect in yourself; when I was little, it's a no-no to refer yourself with dalem unless you're speaking to your parents. There is aku which put yourself higher than other people and put more selfishness voice in your tone. And this song use the word kula that means put ourselves in a complete surrender to the One who knows everything.

What a beautiful song and a beautiful assurance of what I am struggling with. Praise God again today!

1 comment:

Anung said...

Glad to know that you do remember well the lyrics of Kidungipun Pasamuan Kristen. It also my favourite song, always sang at the closing of sunday service in GKJ Sawokembar Yogyakarta.
GBU,

Regards,
Nurcahya