Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I painted the green grass. It was fun because I got lots of paint on me.

Friday morning, I suspected something was going on in front of my apartment. The wall was primed about two weeks before, and that morning I saw scaffolding, a truck, a couple of people more than usual, and someone whom I knew the face but didn't know her name who participated at the Ludlow Street Painting Fest last year. I think they're going to paint a mural.

That's what it looks like at 6:00pm.

I went over and talked to someone there because I was just curious. The mural was painted by Jessy, the new owner of KrafHaus gallery on Main Street, which is a temporary space rented by BillBaum/Urban Sites Properties, known as an "upscale" residential developer. He has a couple of storefront for rent in monthly basis or just daily basis for an occasion/opening or closing ceremony. Instead of paying rent, KraftHaus painted him a mural over another building he owns. I figured that he might not going to do anything with that building in a little while. I am glad though that he's been working on it, at least make the building look pretty, because a year ago, I thought I saw some pigeons lived in the attic.

So, about 25' x 10' wall, took seven (adult) people and two days.

This was a huge affirmation from God, or at least helped me to calm down a bit, with the mural project that I am planning with the VineyardChurch Summer of Service (S.O.S).

Here's the entire project detail:
Three sites, but I am responsible in planning only on two sites, because KeepCincinnatiBeautiful has had one site ready with everything, materials, template, etc.

Exterior walls:
15' x 46'
8’ 9” x 27’ 6”

Interior walls:
8' x 35'
8' x 42'
10’ x 51’4”

All had to be done in four days, i.e. two hours x four; while organizing 200 high school students for all three locations. So, we'll have about 60-70 students per location. My experience is that, we can't get everyone to paint at the same time, even if it will be just "paint by numbers" that I will definitely use in the design! I am sure that we will have to prepare for more activities around the locations that can be done other than painting.

I don't like chaos. And I don't like to see people standing around when they want to work, purposefully coming to work, to serve. And especially high school students at locations that they are not familiar with (they'll come from all over the country). So, careful organizing and planning is the best way to do this, and seeing the mural across the street was done in two days straight, I am sure we'll get the mural done in eighth hours with more people!

Now all I need is my phone, which will be here today, to start talking and asking for paint donations, materials and equipment (brush, bucket, ladder, etc.) and start working on this at my lunch time today. Donating acrylic paints, anyone?

SOS will be a lot of fun!

Quote by Shannon Nakamine, 9 years old, Girl Scout Troop 532, who participated at the Aloha Mural Project, 2002.

No comments: