Tuesday, May 29, 2007

But unfortunately, that's what's hidden in my heart, that there's a plan. And I'm a part of it. Whether I want to believe it or not.

I spoke a couple of times with Katy. She's a very nice person who will greet you with her crisp voice asking you genuinely about things important and not important. I visited InkTank regularly when it was small, when it has the "Rubbish" store that sold second-hand donated things from people that they sell to pay the rent for the space. Sometimes I went inside to see the poetry readings or anything else that was going on. It was refreshing to know there's a place for us to voice our words with confidence, that listening was part of the equation, that you're not the only one making sound with your keyboard in your room.

InkTank created conversations, although sometimes I thought there was bias in the conversation, but how could they not? Overtime, I stopped going to InkTank, I planned to go to their writing groups, but the plan remains a plan since I had other group meetings at the same time. But I know that InkTank had made a difference in many people's life, created activities for the homeless, engaging them in conversation, developing their confidence, and letting them know that someone does care, not of the physical need, but the need unseen. What Katy had done was amazing.

I was listening to her essay at the local This I believe series (link below), and I cried with her as she reveal her story. Hers is unique, but has similarities with other stories I heard. That Someone is in charge. That there is a plan for each one of us, whether we want to believe it or not. Unfortunately, we would start to listen to the Voice when our lives fall apart, when we could not see with our own eyes and then we will start to listen. This happened to me too, and I am sure many of us.

Julee and I talked about this, we've talked about how we've messed up in the process of growing up, and that we've rarely knew anyone who could grow without messing things up. And then I remember the bible said that in our weakest, God is the strongest. He wants us to be part of His plan, whether we want to believe it or not. Praise God!

Title was taken from Katy Holwadel's essay for WVXU This I Believe.

2 comments:

... said...

HI DYAH!

Katy's essay was fantastic! We go through what we go through for a reason! Even the times I've completely messed up - they've gotten me to the place I am now! (Is gotten a word?)

I miss you!
=)J

dyah kartikawening said...

Right! In our weakest, God is the strongest..
miss you too!