Friday, May 04, 2007

I am in love with your mother, not you.

My fiction jokes about ex-boyfriend's mom, the story that would be all fictions and is dedicated to mothers with sons as a mother's day present from me, the best future daughter in law ever!

Story One.
When I first saw you, you're not that beautiful. There's something about blue eyes that I cannot understand, as if there's a gate to your heart that I can't enter through those blue eyes, just what the looks mean made me dizzy. But I thought you're beautiful because of you're naive enough to think that you can save the world through doing something with your life that made us fall into the same category of naive people who want to save the world by doing what we do.

So I kept you company.

Until you took me home to see your family and I knew they were staring at us behind the curtain, I never thought you're that beautiful, even if you had so many traits I like including your ways to give me more freedom to be away from you.

On Tuesday night, when I told you I love you, I was trying to decide whether "I am infatuated by your beauty" or "I am in love with your mother". Last week over dinner, I slightly mentioned that I was trying to find white chocolate to make you some snacks to bring to the bike trail on Sunday. I set aside the need of white chocolate with more of you to occupy my time, especially after Tuesday night, it seems that you were infatuated too. And on Monday when we came for dinner after that long day in the park, she said, I have something for you, and she gave me two, not just one, two kinds of white chocolate that, you might need those, she said. Her genuine attention stole my heart.

That day when you were trying to teach me corn hole after you promised not to demand to win but merely participating and you had me to pair with your sixty five year old Uncle John, your mother said that your father made coffee just for me. And when I was tired running around chasing your niece in the bike, I was sitting by your mother when she was busy asking me about things that I'd like to answer. She has become my new friend when you're busy running Casey the dog around the house, that I thought was pointless since neither of you need to go anywhere, although looking at you running the dog was entertaining since, well, you're beautiful.

I pointed out the sketch on the wall when she noticed, and without I had to ask, she told me the story, that was the dorm I lived for two years when I went to school to be a nurse. The building is now the GoodSamaritanHospital, my roomate painted that drawing. I couldn't even remember where you were, I think you were outside playing with Alex at the pool. And she asked, I heard you paint? And you're to blame as the one and only source of news, or may be she saw my painting in your room.

Your mother got my name right the first time we met. She bought edamame since I told her I could survive eating only those..last week. She asked me if I were from New York and all about my family. And when you told me she didn't even talk to your last girlfriend, I was flattered because this might mean that she likes me.

But there is a slightly small problem...

I was lying to you that Tuesday night, and now I am more confused because I don't want to break up with you because I am in love with your mother. I want her to be my mother, but not necessarily to keep you as my boyfriend. If I told you the truth, I might not be able to see you and your mother. But if I didn't tell you, I might have to pretend that I even like you, when, I can't stand being around you any more second, now.

So, what a girl to do?

PS. We broke up a week later. And my heart was broken because I will never be able to see Linda again. For Linda, if you ever found this blog, Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: