Monday, March 05, 2007

Good luck exploring the infinite abbys

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."
Luke 4:18-19

Click here to watch Paul David Hewson, KBE proclaim what he beliefs to be his purpose on earth.

If we could only be more generous, said the UN Leader who was just retiring from his position at the FAO where he visited more and more villages where extreme poverty exist. It's not rocket science. It's something that we know how to solve yet still exist. Bono said, yes, that's how the world is, but would we give up on that? This morning I flushed my consciously flushed my toilet. I consciously using the extremely warm water in the shower. After researching about how Nigerian could only use sixteen bottles of water everyday for everything they need for the entire family. I still couldn't comprehend why, until I'm standing on their shoes, but that's not the point. Bono, again, said, that we can't really choose who our neighbor is, and if we live in this global village, the Nigerian is also our neighbor. And that's why I am excited that I am part of this big challenge to do something about it! The Jesus "religion" is what I believe could change the world, because He did change the world the first time He set His feet on this earth. Do you know Him?

Race and 12th street. One windy winter morning.
Four years ago I helped mapped the resources for our neighbors who live on the streets. Their homes are the streets, sometimes they get a shelter if they are lucky. None of them wanted to be there, with or without their knowledge. Some were trapped with drugs, the past, or just simply out of luck when three weeks ago everything seems to be alright. Being homeless is not an option, not something you said when you're a child and someone asked you what you want to be when you grow up.
My map wouldn't do any good, I don't think so. Today four years later, none of our friends see them. Some of the facilities perhaps had changed location, defined new services.

That morning, all we could do was to offer them something. Hot chocolate. Tooth brush. Sandwich. Some cookies. We realize all of those are temporary solution of the cold windy winter morning when you don't have nowhere to go or hardly any money left from last week's pay check. But, we brought with us love that overflows. We couldn't help not to give away. And perhaps a prayer. And a smile. A little how are you doing in between.

That was last week, the same exact day as the first day I came to the city and visited the DropInnCenter with a ministry at the college at six o'clock in the morning. Nothing had change. These unfortunate friends are still on the street. And the world hunger is still exist. God get me so upset that morning. But was it God that upset me or should I be upset? This is a problem we know how to solve but couldn't get rid off. But love will solve the world hunger; all God needs are hands and feet. I could be sure of nothing else but this.

One day a far away friend asked me which one is more important to solve first: hatred or the world hunger. Then one other day, I heard on the radio a question: which one is more important, to love others or to preach about salvation. The answers to those is this: The church has left the building. Gone Outreaching. The famous quote from Gandhi: be the change you want to be : is true.

No comments: