Thursday, March 29, 2007

May be death is the great equalizer, the one big thing that can finally make strangers shed a tear for one another

Through the long road I came with enough time to think what his life meant to all of us, and to my friend and I. His obituaries, four paragraphs, was published in three days in all newspapers in the region; that's how important his life was, for his patient, his family, church family, and his community. But is that how life will be remembered - in an obituary -?

There was a song I listened to on that long road. It said that many people had achievements, this so-and-so was good in such-and-such, but the singer wants people to remember this in her life: that she chose to love.

He loved through his life, his work, his family, and his encounter to each one of us, including me. I can see his genuine attention to me, one of his son's friends. He showed that he cared, with what he had, his knowledge and sense of humor, he showed that he cared. Does God always take good people to come to him earlier? And who am I to question God? I am glad he's not suffering anymore for his soul is with God.

I saw one girl crying in front of me. Who was she? His student? His secretary? His nurse? Why did it took her so long to move? I wasn't being impatient, but I was just wondering why she showed her grieved in front of us, and I prayed that she will be able to go through it.

I was worried because my friend, whom dad passed away, didn't show grief. I was worried that he was just hiding it, just as he was hiding all his life covered within the depth of his all changing wreck less relationships (it depends on how you define a relationship). He was working as usual, eating at the visitation, smiling and not showing grief. I was worried if he can take this. I hope and pray that God will help him to go through the grief.

For me, the visitation and the funeral is also a funeral of my own grief, my own past life that I know God already forgave. It's the funeral of my own pain and guilt. I don't need to feel it, because feelings lies, but I know God had forgiven me.

This is one of the options of I want to put on my grave when I die:

His Grace overflows:
Most of the times she failed, but she chose to love.


Title source: MitchAlbom, TuesdaysWithMorrie

No comments: