Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Be still and know that I am God.

When I started to think about this, the quest of knowing Who God is, or thinking about it, I already feel like a dash of dust in a dessert. I am aiming for a quest of knowing Him intimately, everyday of my life, to know what He likes and what He doesn't like, to know what His favorite thing, to know what He feels about me, all because I am in love with Him and wanted to please Him. It's a lifetime quest, really. Even in my life time could not even gather only a one percent of who He is, but I hope He would allow me to know Him intimately.

Buechner (again), mentioned about language and naming things and how that was the first time that Adam did when God created him, to name animals and plants in garden of Eden. Buechner said that naming things is the first thing human being do to identify, to know, something or someone. So my question is, why do we name God, God? Why does He has a lot of them? Why does each culture, without consulting with one another, had a sense of searching, yearning for who He is? Could it be because there's a God-shaped hole in each of us? Could it be because it has something to do with His character as a superior being compare to us, more than everything that He is the ultimate creator of all things?

Dr SM Lockridge's famous "That's My King" sermon of God's title and His work and Isaiah's prophecy of Jesus are probably the two most articulate summary of who God is. But, I want to begin with the God I know and I wanted to know more about from Genesis: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. All with that 100,000 galaxies and stars. He worked for six days of creation (which in my belief is different than our literal six days) and always make sure to evaluate His work everyday by saying "I did a good work today", which in Genesis differentiate each day to the other.

But God, today I don't feel that way, or should I say, most of my days, I don't feel that way, especially today. I am always resenting on driving around so much although it is necessary. I spent almost two hours driving back and forth to pick up paints donations in Eastgate that feels like it was located in the ends of the earth! And how much knowledge about the suburbs just make me want to puke, although I am learning to be more positive about it, that, if I am being fair, it's where people made the decision to live! And I've always said I am for people's choices, so I should be open about the suburbs too. I had some Neal today who always, on his own way, rebuke something in my heart, just by saying, "so are you saying you don't like to see us when you visit us in the suburb?" Exactly, I don't know if Neal knows this, but he has the power to convict me, three times already for time I spent with him that could be counted by hands. Places shouldn't matter when there is a people of God I need to serve, despite their choices, preferences in life. And no, I love to see my friends in the suburbs and I love to go to church in the suburbs, not because of their location, but because of their choices to be outward focus outside their comfort zone!

I feel that going to the suburb is exactly what God wants me to be, to at least talk more about the importance of environmental stewardship to others as much as I can. It still, and it should, bother me that people are not recycling things that could be recycled or to buy those unnecessary stuff, but again, I should not put expectations on other people's choices and just try to walk the talk myself. Not that it's unthinkable, because I have seen people taking leadership and effort to recycle, to use things as efficient as possible, to buy less things and to drive less. I still consider the last one as my vice, I need to drive less.

There are so many things in my head I need to process when thinking about creation and global warming and environmental stewardship, especially the honey bees Colony Collapse Disorder that blew my mind! An artist at the Peace and Justice art show drew an image about how "we" killed the honey bees (although the caused of CCD is still unknown) and the thought of not having fruit and vegetables to eat in the future is just scares me. May be I am exaggerating things because human being had killed wild bees a long long time ago, hence, there are people who became bee keepers. No bees means no pollination, no pollination means no productions of some fruits and vegetables. When my mind could not process how things in nature went wrong, I feel more like a dust when thinking about how God created all of these order and creatures in its details and its glory and still able to create all of these in a grandeur scale as in millions of stars and galaxies, and then, still knows me by name and everything about me that I don't even know myself, and loves me and rather die than live without me.

God is still working today so I pray that He will take care of the CCD and help us to solve this problem and help us to be a better steward of what He has given us.

So I chose to feel that what I did today was good, I put the first draft of the lines for the biggest mural I've ever worked on. I need to go back and make more definite lines and plan for its colors the next time I am coming back.

Currently Reading: Knowing God by JI Packer.

No comments: