Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Will the road you're on get you to my place? -- God

Last week, I went to a writing class sample that promote many writing classes in the organization. The topic offered was creative writing, which was different from what I am interested in, but close enough to jump start my brain, or even to exercise. I had no expectation other than may be listening to what other people have to say and may be, I could pick up some inspiration along the way.

I had an idea what this organization is all about, but I was always curious of what they are really like. We were sitting down in a circle in a dimme lighting in a large room with low ceiling (it was located in one of the newer houses in the suburb..). There were about thirteen of us, all women! No one said a word; I was wondering if they had the same thoughts as I was. That. this. already. feel. like. an. occult.

The leader than came and sit down in the center. She light up a big red candle in a big mug. She said, the "tradition" they have before starting a class is to light a candle and hand the candle to each person. The purpose is to focus and as a symbolic action that we're leaving every thought in the world and leave all the thoughts in the room. To concentrate, may be what she meant. She held the candle longer than all of us. I didn't know what she was doing actually. So, I did what other people did, but with a prayer, to say that "God, this is sound like an occult."

And then she rang a chime. Once. And she hold a stone. Again, the tradition has been, that everyone who speaks need to hold the stone. She said many women had held the stone, and it has been "empowering" to all of them. Whatever, I think. This reminds me alot of the original hippy tradition, where people hold a feather when they speak, wait for a turn. The one thing I don't agree with religion, is the ritual, the made-it-necessary-by-human-rule actions, where you should do this and you should do that, otherwise...and yes, "God, this is sound like an occult..."

If the sole purpose of this exercise was to write and to share our writings with others, then why do we have to deal with the candles. And meditate, sort of. ALthough the exercise was good, consist of two sessions: fast write and saying things. Fast write is creating the first draft of our writings, and then the next one is reflecting from the poem they chose for the day.

Ayn Rand once said about hippies: exhibitionist who don't have anything to exhibit. But, this is the last thing I would like myself to think about from the experience. I do feel good after reading my own writing to other women. But, I am sure, it would be better when we start everything in prayer, to Jesus, because if we need to center our world, it should be to Him, our creator, the reason why we exist, and the sole purpose of what we have in life. And if writing is a gift, a talent from Him, then we should give it back to Him. Not to the chime. Not to the candle. Not to self.

2 comments:

Russell Smith said...

Dyah,
Yeah, it sounds kind of cult-like to me too. perhaps we need to start a "Christians writing for (a) change" group? :)

Russell

dyah kartikawening said...

I gave too many clues, didn't I, Russell?