Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A friendship is a treasure beyond measure

December 26, 2004, I got many phone calls asking if my family was okay, after the tsunami in Aceh. The town located on the tip of Sumatera Island and my family live in Java. Today I heard more good news from Aceh, where the economy starts to perk up, with new businesses, stores, , restaurants and hotels standing up again. After the tsunami, decades of conflict between the locals and central government had achieve an agreement and the Aceh people had their own election to decide their own leader from their own people they desired. Although some infrastructure problems still exist, there is no doubt that houses are being built in a better condition with the billion dollars assistances from the non-government organizations from all over the world. Although grieve are still on the air, thoughts of God and His greatness are being brought up in people's minds. And if death was the great equalizer, the hundreds of thousands lives that were gone in that night were not just gone astray. They were loved and they are still loved and missed.

Which also brought my thoughts of what I have in my life.

Friends and family are people who sometimes we take for granted. My family probably is not the best in the world, but they're the best that God ever given to me. And my friends, my friends are more than just a family.

One listened to me every morning and made me feel loved when I miss my mom.
One adopted me as a family in his big family.
One always asked me questions as if my opinion matters.
One called me up when he had a bad day.
One "lend me" his mom to give me a hug at my christmas away from home.
One helped me to prepare "a line" to answer my parents' usual question.
One stayed with me and offered me ice cream when I had a bad day.
One came over and listened to me when I cried over a heart break.
One told me that I need to figure out what I want before I did a foolish thing.
One noticed my voice and gave me a hug when I needed.
One needed me to listen and gave me opportunity to encourage him.
One gave me a place to spend the night when I lost my keys.
One gave me an advice on being a bum.
One told me that I didn't help when I told him the truth.
One ate the dinner I cooked although it was too salty.
One laughed with me when my dishwasher flooded, instead of making fun of me.
One drove far away just to say goodbye.
One came to my charity event although he has no interest whatsoever.
One said sorry for inexcusably being unattentive with my life.
One took care of my lousy car.
One never judge me.
One pushed me to reduce my coffee intake to only four cups up to this month.
One always encourage me to do what I love.
One asked me for help and made me feel needed.
One took care of my plants just because they were important to me.
One sent me encouraging words just in time.
One spent time with me when she could be elsewhere with people she loves.
And countless ones, had made me laugh and keep me young.

Every encounter we had with other people had a reason. And I believe each one is in my life for a reason. And I also believe that God had sent my friends to tell me He loves me. To my friends, I love you, and have a verry merry christmas.

No comments: