Sunday, November 12, 2006

The best things in life aren't things

When Sunday comes, the weekend is over. The long awaited weekend was here, and it's gone. What could be better than spending the weekend as you please? There's no deadline, just things to do. I planned to spend this weekend "to get things done" but I am glad I spent some of it with my friends. I didn't know how I could get on otherwise; this is one of those time when I didn't even know I needed other people to cheer me up.

I thought of friends I have and what they have done in my life without they even knew it. Every single person I met and interacted with was one of the ways God communicated with me. Without they knew it, they brought me to the thoughts I need to think about, decisions I need to consider instead of jumping to conclusions. They made me think of how much God loves me when I thought of my love for them but then sometimes I was dissapointed in them too. They made me think of how much God must have loved me when I knew I could always forgive them and shed tears for them when I missed them. They made me feel blessed with the hugs and love. With the phone calls "to catch up". With the laughter and the jokes and the games.

They said friends multiply joy and divide sorrow. But I knew a friend when they don't judge. We agree to disagree. They tell me what they think but wouldn't tell me what I should do. They came when I cried for my own stubborn-ness, but knew that what I need was not another "I told you so".

One of the goals of my life is not to own things. Things nailed me down, it's a chain to my freedom. In one place and another, I found friends instead, even I don't have any control of how long they would stay in my life. Learning to let go is the hardest thing, but it's get easier with time and when new friends come along; that reminds me, with God, I could face anything.

1 comment:

Russell Smith said...

One of the great blessings in life -- friends who encourage you and affirm you and tell you you're great.
Russell