Thursday, September 21, 2006

Morality, like art, consists in drawing a line somewhere

I am in the midst of reading "ConversationswithBono...", a book written by his pal, Michka Assaya. I have to stop reading once in awhile because the conversation was heavier than I thought; feelings travel farther than thoughts. Many things that Bono was talking about made sense.

I like Bono not only because of his music, but because he's "too politically correct" and he's a Jesus freak. The man reads the bible, practise it, and continue discovering what's left to discover.

The last page I read was an insider story of a "terrorist", a girl Zamura, whose life was tragic: started in not a very good life, lost her parents, lived with her grandmother, forced to marry with a stranger just because of the old fashion tradition, only to know that her husband was shot dead while she was pregnant, deliver the baby only to know that she was taken away from her, until she was sent back to her grandmother's house far away in the corner of the country. Geezz.

She was haunted by guilt and grief. She was then decided to join the suicide bomber, which made her able to pay for her debt, got some money, and off to the plane to abduct her daughter. She got caught by her aunt, but then she got away with her plans and join the rest of the terrorist. For her, to die for "God" is a way to get out of the suffering.

She then escaped from the plan because she found the tragic life of the 14-year-old girl that was with her, blowed herself up in a concert and died with 14 other people. This was a miracle where Zamura realized about how horrible the plan was, and that GOD doesn't want revenges.

Love and mercy do work in the world.

I was in the plane last week from the west coast and was reminded once again of 9-11. Which was tragic, but according to Bono was not as tragic as the current killing of African because of AIDS, or the current Darfur fights between ethnicities. Horrible.

But it was midnight, I had no dinner, had only a couple of cups of coffee, and thus I was grumpy. I had to go through the security twice because I forgot to move my "liquid" things to the luggage.I've gone through many baggage check, to and from other countries, but gladly understand it needs to be done for security. This time was not that terrible, but the feeling was terrible, that made me think more about 9-11 (which triggered the entire security madness), how relevant the Jesus-morality was. The more I think about it, the more it made sense of EVERYTHING that Jesus preached. To love our neighbors, not just those who live around us, but those who live across the globe, and those who do not agree with us in so many things in life, those who might hate us because what we believe. Love and mercy do make sense.

1 comment:

Russell Smith said...

Dyah, great post -- I may have to borrow the Bono book when you're done with it.

Russell